Tuesday 8 March 2011

Blood Brothers, Phoenix Theatre



Blood Brothers is a show that is quite close to my heart; having seen the show many times and having quite a personal connection with it. Knowing one of the actresses who has played Mrs Johnstone for a number of years, also now some of the crew, I am quite fortunate to be able to see the show and have seen it on a regular basis.

I think we are all familiar of the timeless tale of the Johnstone twins, who are separated at birth because their mother couldn't afford to keep them both. Their lives then intertwine and one is more privileged than the other and the outcome has a tragic ending. I have been lucky enough now to see Lyn Paul, Maureen Nolan, Linda Nolan, Niki Evans and tonight Natasha Hamilton in the role of Mrs Johnstone.

Going back to when I heard they were casting Melanie C of the Spice Girls in the role I absolutely dreaded and avoided seeing the production. Never a fan of her "whiny" voice in the band, I thought this was celebrity stunt casting at its highest. But, having researched Willy Russell and Bill Kenwright's intentions behind casting for Mrs Johnstone, they have always wanted a singer to play the role.


Natasha Hamilton as Mrs Johnstone

So when I saw Natasha Hamilton was to play the role I was quite excited. For me it was the perfect compromise, although Atomic Kitten was a successful band, I felt she had been cast for her vocal ability rather than her past credentials. I always enjoyed her solo work on television with BBC’s Just the Two of Us and I think she is a very attractive lady too. I seem to be right, the warmth and soul within Natasha's husky and powerful voice was perfectly suited to the role. For a former pop princess, she was not afraid to project emotion through her voice by cracking and wobbling on notes, which helped to evoke a more truthful performance.

The only reservation I had with Natasha Hamilton is that my favourite Mrs J's have previously been older; Lyn Paul being in her 60's when she last played the role. I have to say this was completely blown out of the water and it brought different elements to the character. I found the naivety she brought to the role especially good, which I think the older actress cannot portray because they have more life experience. The only small fault I found with Natasha's performance was at times I felt she was a fraction static on stage, sometimes I felt it added to the performance and sometimes it looked a bit wooden. I think as she settles into the role even more though, things will become a lot more natural, after all this is her West End debut.

Also within the production tonight, I found the connection between the Narrator and Mrs Lyons much stronger than I have seen previously. I saw the narrator much more as a conscience and at the points where he intertwined with the characters even more poignant with Mrs Lyons descent into madness even more dramatic. Both Philip Stewart and our understudy Mrs Lyons Polli Redstone, sang with ease and a vocal finesse.

Steven Palfremans, Mickey was brilliant too; you can definitely see his long association with the production has allowed his relationship with the character to blossom over the years. The contrast between his happy child to manically depressed middle aged man felt ever more the tragic, with the scene he shares with Linda within their own home heart wrenching.


Stephen Palfreman, Natasha Hamilton, Simon Willmont

Mention must also be made to Simon Willmont who was the perfect contrast to Palfremans Mickey, as the cute child to bumbling public school boy.

Some people find the heavy synth drums and echo effects on the microphones dated, but I quite enjoy them and find it very much of the period of the piece. I do however think the set is starting to look a tad shabby and could do with a facelift, but after nearly 25 years who wouldn't!

The only tiny fault was with the audience, although on the whole OK, at points they were chatty and quite noisy, mostly being filled with students and tourists. Tourists I am finding at the moment a particular annoyance at shows.

Overall, I can go and see Blood Brothers quite freely without a bother, I think the real life element of it brings it down to earth and is what makes it timeless. It's a musical that's quite raw and doesn't rely on gimmick or effect this is why I think it has stood the test of time and still packs them in today.

2 comments:

  1. Tourists are a pain in everyone's backsides, when I went to see Onassis there was a gaggle of tourists all texting throughout the entire show! DREADFUL DREADFUL! Glad to see you had a nice time David!
    All the best, Natasha from the Rambles and Shambles blog http://theramblesandshamblesblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. DAVID!
    I've given you a Kreativ Blog award. Check out my blog to find out more about it!
    xx

    ReplyDelete